July 20, 2017, 05:32:45 PM

Author Topic: Few Questions Regarding Promo Card rulings  (Read 14533 times)

Justin Emery

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Few Questions Regarding Promo Card rulings
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Had my first game and ran first demo last night, game is a blast, rules were pretty simple (as there are not many!)
But as usual, promos cards caused a few questions. The judgement calls I made were all agreed upon, but wanna check here just in case

Royal Decree - The biggest FU card  in the game. However in the sense of it being the big FU, we made this ruling.
Purple declared "I have 5 Apples"
Sheriff called BS and bag checked
Contents were Royal Decree, 3 Apples, and the Contraband Apples

Per the exact rules and wording on Royal Decree, this wouldn't trigger it's effect, because it's not EXACTLY what they declared
However, since most the "good" contraband cards are not Goods, and the ones that are Goods are usually just counting as extra, I called this as "They declared apples, it's all apples, and King John wants them, they all go through, even the contraband one, and it triggers the bonus 8 Gold.
Everyone agreed after reading the card and looking at the value of said cards, that this was better for the game, allowed you to "honestly" bypass a ruling, and still trigger it, and logically it makes sense. Only the best foods for King John!

So curious if this is the intent, or if ANYTHING not declared (IE: Contraband of any sort) automatically triggers the Decree. Regardless I think I'll keep this house rule for future lulz but wanted to check on officialness

Arcane Scrolls - So this prevents the player who owns it from gaining any King or Queen bonuses at the end of the game. Does this mean they take the "Spot" they earned as King / Queen, but don't get points, or do we ignore their Goods outright, and let the next runner up take the spot?
We ruled in favor of it being a "block" card. It takes the bonuses from the person earning them, but they STILL have the most, so whatever position bonus they have (King or Queen) is "Taken" and unusable, and it shuts them down. This feels to me the best way to use it, as it creates more end game strategy. Is this ruling correct?

Also, offering a bribe to the Sheriff and giving him one of these when he is leading in several Goods, is just downright hilarious and mean, and heck yes I did it!

Feast Plate - When scoring end of game points and checking for King/Queen bonus, we select this as 1 of the Goods of our choice, place it in that pile, and scoring accordingly. This seems straight forward, but some others asked, so I'd like to confirm here.
On that note, if my ruling for Royal Decree is Correct, then you can totally Smuggle in a ton of Feast Plates, again, seems more fun that way heh

Thanks much!
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Laddinfance

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Few Questions Regarding Promo Card rulings
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
Royal Summons: If you have any contraband other than the Royal Summons, then the royal summons doesn't trigger. If you called "5 Apples" then you would need to have 4 Apples and 1 Royal Summons, you could not have 3 Apples, 1 Golden Apples and 1 Royal Summons.

Arcane Scrolls: If you smuggled in an Arcane Scrolls, then you cannot receive any bonuses at the end. If you qualified for one of the bonuses, then that bonus is lost as you were the player who should have gotten it, but cannot, and no other player is eligible for it.

Feast Plate: This only becomes a legal good during end game scoring. So, no you cannot use it with Royal Summons. When it gets to end game scoring, you choose which good it is, and place it in the appropriate pile.

Justin Emery

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 12:39:48 AM »
Ok so sounds like we did everything right except Royal Summons, but seems like something we can house rule, since it's way meaner of a card that way heh.

Thanks kindly sir!

Justin Emery

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
Another question came up involving promo card interaction, I think it's self explanatory but a good argument was made by one of my players so I said I'd ask

Arcane Scrolls - You cannot collect bonuses at the end of the game

This is implying the King and Queen bonuses for the 4 Goods

However, someone asked "Does this stop the Gen Con Booster item bonuses?"

For example, Dragon Pepper, adds 1 Gold for every Pepper you have. Contraband and points for them are only done at the end of the game. This is a value adjuster, but it could be considered a bonus.

So does this block the bonus gold, or just the King/Queen scores?

Thanks kindly!

Laddinfance

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
Arcane Scrolls stops you from being the King or Queen of a good.