September 24, 2017, 07:05:12 AM

Author Topic: Onitama vs Chess  (Read 2650 times)

Zuberi

• Acolyte of the Dice Gods
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 46
    • View Profile
Onitama vs Chess
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
I just wrote my very first review for a game on bgg comparing Onitama to Chess. Spoiler, it has completely replaced chess for me. If anybody is interested in it, here's the link: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22660639

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Onitama vs Chess
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:58:23 PM »
Just kind of curious how does Onitama compare to Chess960? Probably doesn't matter since pretty much nobody plays chess variants as far as I know, but that comment made me kinda curious. Then again, I probably shouldn't be asking this. I'll just end up pining over another game/variant of a game that I will never be able to play, like I did with Fairy Chess and Brik Wars, lol.

Onitama sounds very fun. I did a demo of it a long while back and I think I might like to try it again to see if I like it enough to buy it. Will it be at origins?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:59:56 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Laddinfance

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Onitama vs Chess
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »
Just kind of curious how does Onitama compare to Chess960? Probably doesn't matter since pretty much nobody plays chess variants as far as I know, but that comment made me kinda curious. Then again, I probably shouldn't be asking this. I'll just end up pining over another game/variant of a game that I will never be able to play, like I did with Fairy Chess and Brik Wars, lol.

Onitama sounds very fun. I did a demo of it a long while back and I think I might like to try it again to see if I like it enough to buy it. Will it be at origins?

Yes, we'll have copies at Origins.

Zuberi

• Acolyte of the Dice Gods
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »

Chess 960 fixes the problem of scripted openings and improves repeatability, but all of my other points still apply to it. Onitama is easier to teach and never results in a draw. My opinion may be a minority one. I can definitely see people saying it doesn't have as much depth. To me, it is a shorter more condensed game, but just as thinky so I don't feel it's lost any depth. It cuts out a lot of fat, focusing on the fun bits of out maneuvering and engaging your opponent, rather than spending a lot of time just getting into position or dealing with a dragged out end game.

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:25:39 PM »

Chess 960 fixes the problem of scripted openings and improves repeatability, but all of my other points still apply to it. Onitama is easier to teach and never results in a draw. My opinion may be a minority one. I can definitely see people saying it doesn't have as much depth. To me, it is a shorter more condensed game, but just as thinky so I don't feel it's lost any depth. It cuts out a lot of fat, focusing on the fun bits of out maneuvering and engaging your opponent, rather than spending a lot of time just getting into position or dealing with a dragged out end game.

So much win!