September 25, 2017, 06:59:25 PM

Author Topic: Looking for Official Answers for Sheriff of Nottingham  (Read 957 times)

Necr0mancer

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Looking for Official Answers for Sheriff of Nottingham
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:20:05 AM »
Hi!

Two questions that I would like to get official answers on. I'm sure that each group could handle these situations anyway that they want, but I'm hoping to get an answer that defines the official way to play the game.

1) During negotiation a player offers the Sheriff, "If you don't inspect my bag, you can have the Crossbow inside of it". The Sheriff agrees to the offer and returns the bag. The players bag doesn't contain a crossbow.

Does the player have to show the Sheriff the contents of the bag to prove that there wasn't a crossbow in it?

2) During negotiation the player offers the Sheriff, "If you don't inspect my bag, I'll give you one of the Bread inside it." The Sheriff agrees to the offer and returns the bag. The player's bag doesn't contain any of the legal, green, cards named "Bread" but it does contain a red contraband card, "Rye Bread".

Does the player have to give the Sheriff the Rye Bread card?

Thank you in advance!

Zuberi

• Acolyte of the Dice Gods
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 46
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Official Answers for Sheriff of Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 08:53:37 PM »
I'm not an official answer, but I don't think your questions are really going to have an official answer. Based on the rules as written, you would have to give the Sheriff the Crossbow if you have one, but you don't have to show your contraband. Those rules are crystal clear, but they rely entirely on "honor amongst thieves". Meaning it would be really easy for someone to cheat. If you're worried about someone cheating, then I would make a houserule where the contraband in question are set aside with a note saying they don't contain any crossbows. That way the person's honesty can be checked at the end of the game and all rules are honored, including the secrecy of the cards.

The second problem isn't a rules problem at all. It's a communication one. When people used the term "bread" were they referring to all cards that count as bread, all cards with bread in their title, or just the generic "bread" cards? This should be clarified before accepting a deal, but if it is left vague and unclear then I would rule that whoever made the offer determines what they meant by the offer. Since they're the only one who can actually answer what they meant. It's the other person's fault if they made assumptions about the deal, and they should have gotten clarification before accepting.

TonyGullotti

• Administrator
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Sales & Marketing
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Wonders
Re: Looking for Official Answers for Sheriff of Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »
Necr0mancer --thank you for reaching out. I brought your questions to Bryan Pope, who worked intensively on the development of Sheriff of Nottingham with the designers. Here are his answers to your questions:

1) During negotiation a player offers the Sheriff, "If you don't inspect my bag, you can have the Crossbow inside of it". The Sheriff agrees to the offer and returns the bag. The players bag doesn't contain a crossbow.

Does the player have to show the Sheriff the contents of the bag to prove that there wasn't a crossbow in it?

Thatís a good question. I think YES he should have to reveal his contrband, but should only show the contraband to the sheriff (not to the other players). If he does not have the crossbow he owes the sheriff nothing.

2) During negotiation the player offers the Sheriff, "If you don't inspect my bag, I'll give you one of the Bread inside it." The Sheriff agrees to the offer and returns the bag. The player's bag doesn't contain any of the legal, green, cards named "Bread" but it does contain a red contraband card, "Rye Bread".

Does the player have to give the Sheriff the Rye Bread card?

Wow! Another great question!  My thought is YES, he must give the Rye Bread to him because it is a bread card (and counts as bread at the end of the game). However, if the merchant had specified a legal Bread, then he would not have to because Rye bread is not legal. The determining factor is that the promise was not very specifically defined, and technically Rye Bread is bread!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest
"You can tell if a place is civilized by whether they ride their unicorns or cook them up." -- Arhnoot, Blood Wave Warlord