July 25, 2021, 01:42:35 PM

Author Topic: Nullify questions  (Read 5494 times)

ktype2

  • New Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Nullify questions
« on: October 25, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »
Question 1:

Dissolve: Choose an equipment attached to "target" mage. X= equipment's casting cost. Then, destroy the equipment.

I just wanna clarify this part. Can Nullify be used to counter Dissolve even though the primary target was the equip? I'm currently under the impression that nullify can counter anything as long as the words 'target/this' are next to the words 'creature/mage. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Question 2:

Do you flip nullify when an opponent puts a face down enchantment on a creature, or do you have to wait until they reveal it?
-If you have to wait for an enchantment to reveal itself, can nullify counter an opponent's nullify?

Please help, we really want to play this properly

Gewar

  • Full Mage
  • ***
  • Posts: 155
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:22:13 AM »
Q1:
Dissolve has target: Mage in it's casting line (top of the card), so Nullify can counter Dissolve

Q2:
You counter when target is chosen - so before revealing enchantment.
Revealing enchantment is separate event from casting it (even if you decide to reveal it as soon as you cast it) - it does not follow spellcasting steps and can not be countered.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Rumsey

  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 76
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
You also have to remember that a hidden enchantment still counts as an enchantment.  As soon as you are targeted by the face-down card, then you MUST use Nullify.  The reveal of Nullify is not optional.  You cannot wait until the card goes the the reveal as the enchantment is already attached at that point and isn't "targeting" anymore.

Rumsey

  • Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 76
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »
Nullify can counter the hidden attachment of another Nullify card and must do so even though you actually have no idea what the attaching card is.  It doesn't matter if the attaching card is a face-down "Decoy."  You must reveal Nullify.

Gewar

  • Full Mage
  • ***
  • Posts: 155
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »
Quote from: "Rumsey" post=2573
Nullify can counter the hidden attachment of another Nullify card and must do so even though you actually have no idea what the attaching card is.  It doesn't matter if the attaching card is a face-down "Decoy."  You must reveal Nullify.


A little clarification - what you have to do is to reveal Nullify - than you may decide not to pay it reveal cost and just destroy it without effect, if you wish to. You do not have to counter any spell with Nullify.

Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2570
Another gold star :)


May I exchange my gold stars for upcomming expansion? Or maybe some peid full-time job to have money to buy it by myself? :D
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Shad0w

  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 2934
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
Quote from: "Gewar" post=2580
Quote from: "Rumsey" post=2573
Nullify can counter the hidden attachment of another Nullify card and must do so even though you actually have no idea what the attaching card is.  It doesn't matter if the attaching card is a face-down "Decoy."  You must reveal Nullify.

Gewar Wrote
A little clarification - what you have to do is to reveal Nullify - than you may decide not to pay it reveal cost and just destroy it without effect, if you wish to. You do not have to counter any spell with Nullify.

Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2570
Another gold star :)

Gewar Wrote
May I exchange my gold stars for upcomming expansion? Or maybe some peid full-time job to have money to buy it by myself? :D


A little clarification - what you have to do is to reveal Nullify - than you may decide not to pay it reveal cost and just destroy it without effect, if you wish to. You do not have to counter any spell with Nullify.
Also correct and another Gold Star. Sorry but they are like Fairy Dust and worth about as much as lint. It is the thought that counts.  :lol:
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"


Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

steelstiletto

  • Apprentice
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2570
Quote from: "Gewar" post=2567
Q1:
Dissolve has target: Mage in it's casting line (top of the card), so Nullify can counter Dissolve

Q2:
You counter when target is chosen - so before revealing enchantment.
Revealing enchantment is separate event from casting it (even if you decide to reveal it as soon as you cast it) - it does not follow spellcasting steps and can not be countered.


Another gold star :)
[strike]On a side note when you cast Dissolve you only target the mage you never target the equip. Choose an equip that is attached to target mage, this is important because you should not tell the other player what you are going to Dissolve until after it has started to resolve. That being said if they only have 1 equip it is a pretty easy guess.[/strike]


[strike]So if you only tell the other person what equipment is being targeted, you still have to pay the mana cost of what you want to target at the beginning, which should narrow it down a lot as to what you are targeting. I have a question with how Dissolve works in combination with Reverse Magic. [/strike]

I have one piece of equipment, Mage Wand, and a hidden Reverse Magic on me.

My opponent casts Dissolve. He pays 5 mana but doesn't tell me what he wants to destroy.

During the counter spell step, I reveal Reverse Magic and take control of dissolve.

I now resolve the spell and destroy one of his equipments worth 5 mana or less, or can I up the mana cost to destroy that damn Hellfire Lash?

Shad0w

  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 2934
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
The cost is locked on casting. Reverse Magic after cast put before resolution. I believe it is during the counter step but do not have cards on me since I am at work. So at that point the cost is locked.

With Rev magic it will let you change even the locked costs. (TY Arcanus for the heads up)
You will see this text in our coming Spell/Rules FAQ, and also in our online card database  (coming very soon!).

 I hope that helps.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"


Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gewar

  • Full Mage
  • ***
  • Posts: 155
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
Quote from: "steelstiletto" post=2587
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2570
Quote from: "Gewar" post=2567
Q1:
Dissolve has target: Mage in it's casting line (top of the card), so Nullify can counter Dissolve

Q2:
You counter when target is chosen - so before revealing enchantment.
Revealing enchantment is separate event from casting it (even if you decide to reveal it as soon as you cast it) - it does not follow spellcasting steps and can not be countered.


Another gold star :)
[strike]On a side note when you cast Dissolve you only target the mage you never target the equip. Choose an equip that is attached to target mage, this is important because you should not tell the other player what you are going to Dissolve until after it has started to resolve. That being said if they only have 1 equip it is a pretty easy guess[/strike].


[strike]So if you only tell the other person what equipment is being targeted, you still have to pay the mana cost of what you want to target at the beginning, which should narrow it down a lot as to what you are targeting. I have a question with how Dissolve works in combination with Reverse Magic. [/strike]

I have one piece of equipment, Mage Wand, and a hidden Reverse Magic on me.

My opponent casts Dissolve. He pays 5 mana but doesn't tell me what he wants to destroy.

During the counter spell step, I reveal Reverse Magic and take control of dissolve.

I now resolve the spell and destroy one of his equipments worth 5 mana or less, or can I up the mana cost to destroy that damn Hellfire Lash?


I think Shad0w is wrong about targeting equipment. The wording is:
"When you cast Dissolve, chose an equipment (...)"
So chosing equipment happens during first step of casting spell - before counterspell.

For your Reverse Magic spell question - I have no idea. Wording suggests that if there is no legal target, the spell is countered and legal target would be a Mage with equipment with exacly the same cost, as has been paid.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Shad0w

  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 2934
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
I do not have the stuff on me as you know so I may be wrong I can only go by the wording I am given while I am at work. If I am if wrong I strike my post and reword it to the correct wording. This does not happen very often but hey we are mostly all humane. :lol:

Gewar you are correct this is why I always ask for the full wording good catch and TY :cheer:

"When you cast Dissolve, chose an equipment (...)"
So choosing equipment happens during first step of casting spell - before counterspell.

This would be on cast before the counter step

On a side note it has been a very long day and I still have like an hour left.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"


Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gewar

  • Full Mage
  • ***
  • Posts: 155
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:51 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=2608
I do not have the stuff on me as you know so I may be wrong I can only go by the wording I am given while I am at work. If I am if wrong I strike my post and reword it to the correct wording. This does not happen very often but hey we are mostly all humane. :lol:

Gewar you are correct this is why I always ask for the full wording good catch and TY :cheer:

"When you cast Dissolve, chose an equipment (...)"
So choosing equipment happens during first step of casting spell - before counterspell.

This would be on cast before the counter step

On a side note it has been a very long day and I still have like an hour left.


No problem - I know many people with flaws, I am aware they exist :P

But I am still not sure about Reverse Magic on Dissolve rules.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Shad0w

  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 2934
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 09:13:52 AM »
Ty for responding it is going to be a very long day. a few hours done 7 more to go.

With Rev magic it will let you change even the locked costs. (TY Arcanus for the heads up)
You will see this text in our coming Spell/Rules FAQ, and also in our online card database  (coming very soon!).
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"


Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gewar

  • Full Mage
  • ***
  • Posts: 155
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
Reverse Magic:
When this cresture is targeted by an incantation ot enchantment spell controlled by an opponent, you must reveal Reverse Magic during the Counter Spell Step. You take control of that spell. Redirect it back to the caster, who now becomes the target of the spell. If the spell cannot target the caster, it is countered. Then destroy Reverse Magic.

Dissolve:
(target: Mage)
When you cast Dissolve, choose an equipment object attached to target Mage. X = equipment's casting cost. Then, destroy the chosen equipment.
"I've seen this spell before - sold in alleys, brothels, and taverns. Men want more life. Always, they want more life."
- Rae Ashar, Wench of the Flying Dragon

Arcanus

  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • *****
  • Posts: 1000
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
When Reverse Magic is revealed, you take control of that spell.  Although the Cast Spell Step is over, you are allowed to adjust the spell's choices and pay additonal mana costs if any.

With Dissolve, you take control of the spell.  It now targets the original casting Mage, and you can now choose a new piece of equipment for Dissolve on that Mage.  If that piece of equipment costs more than the cost has already been paid for Dissolve, you must pay the difference.  If it costs less, you do not get any mana refunded.

Same thing with Reverse Magic on Force Push.  If the original caster did not pay the extra mana to push through a wall, but you want to push him through a wall, you can pay the extra mana to do so.  If the opposite is true, you do not get a mana refund for choosing to not push him through a wall.

As much as possible, we want things in Mage Wars to work the way you think they should work.

We're sorry that this text does not appear on the Reverse Magic card.  The card was already a little text heavy!  You will see this text in our coming Spell/Rules FAQ, and also in our online card database  (coming very soon!).

Sorry for the confusion, and hope this helps.

Shad0w

  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • *
  • Posts: 2934
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nullify questions
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=2635
When Reverse Magic is revealed, you take control of that spell.  Although the Cast Spell Step is over, you are allowed to adjust the spell's choices and pay additonal mana costs if any.

With Dissolve, you take control of the spell.  It now targets the original casting Mage, and you can now choose a new piece of equipment for Dissolve on that Mage.  If that piece of equipment costs more than the cost has already been paid for Dissolve, you must pay the difference.  If it costs less, you do not get any mana refunded.

Same thing with Reverse Magic on Force Push.  If the original caster did not pay the extra mana to push through a wall, but you want to push him through a wall, you can pay the extra mana to do so.  If the opposite is true, you do not get a mana refund for choosing to not push him through a wall.

As much as possible, we want things in Mage Wars to work the way you think they should work.

We're sorry that this text does not appear on the Reverse Magic card.  The card was already a little text heavy!  You will see this text in our coming Spell/Rules FAQ, and also in our online card database  (coming very soon!).

Sorry for the confusion, and hope this helps.


Ty for letting us know about the full rules on rev mag and I will fix my posts accordingly.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"


Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage